They’ll Need to Do Demo Work before Building a Bathroom

They’ll Need to Do Demo Work before Building a Bathroom

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate link(s) through which we may earn a commission on purchases at no additional cost to you. See full disclosure on legal page.

We are FINALLY adding a bathroom to our cabin! Due to our change in plans it will be where the wood stove and chimney were instead of in an addition. This means we needed to demo those before we could get started on the bathroom.

CHIMNEY

I started at the top with chimney removal. (If you ever need to do this check out YouTube as there are lots of videos explaining the process.) First, I removed the chimney cap that I just installed last year and saved it for our new chimney. Then I removed the chimney block by block with a masonry hammer and chisel as well as the back side of a splitting maul since I don’t own a sledge hammer. The trickiest part was the part of the chimney that was in the attic because I had to reach down below the roof level to break up that part. I then moved into the house and brought it all the way to the floor. I needed to patch the roof since the chimney left a hole in its place. I found knowing where to stop with pulling off old shingles to be the hardest part of the patch job. While I was patching it I put in flashing for both the plumbing vent and the exhaust fan. The patch looks as good as new if I do say so myself; unfortunately the same cannot be said for the rest of the roof.

  • Late night demo...

WOOD STOVE

This was the easy part. Our wood stove wasn’t attached in any way so it just needed to be moved. We sold it with a plan to buy a nicer looking one to install on the other side of the cabin.

CONCRETE FLOOR

I had to cut into our concrete slab so that our plumber could install drain piping and it was a HUGE mess. I rented a saw made for cutting concrete which worked well, but it created a ton of dust. A dust mask is more important for this than anything else I’ve done on a house. The dust got everywhere including outside of the area we curtained off with a plastic sheet. At least there was a lot less dust on the other side of the plastic. After cutting it, I broke it out with my maul and hauled it out in chunks.

WALL PANELING

We could have left it and had tongue and grove pine walls in our bathroom, but we decided to remove the paneling from what will be the inside of our bathroom and save it to use on the outside of our new walls. We did this so that the new walls would exactly match the existing walls in the rest of the cabin and all of the walls in the bathroom can be the same. I marked off where the new walls would go and then cut the paneling there. After setting the depth of my circular saw to the thickness of the paneling and I cut most of it from just above the floor to just below the ceiling. I finished the cuts with an oscillating tool I borrowed from a friend (thanks Chris). I already wanted to own one of these tools and now I want one even more after experiencing firsthand how useful they are. After I finished cutting, Bailey helped me to remove the paneling board by board. We used a nail set to push the nails through the boards rather than pulling them out so we didn’t cause damage. We were then able to lift each board off and repeat the process until we had them all down.

After all this destructive work we are ready to start the constructive work of building the bathroom and we’re really excited with the prospect of taking a regular shower in our own home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *